A coroner in British Columbia, Canada has determined that a 57-year-old U.S. resident living in the Vancouver Island area died from prescription medications she purchased over the Internet. The full news report is available here. The woman, Marcia Bergeron, passed away around Christmas, however the coroner has only recently completed the investigation determining that the Internet pharmacy was the agent of her death.
Bergeron bought sedatives and anti-anxiety medication from an Internet pharmacy that advertised itself as being in Canada. It is exactly these Canadian Internet pharmacies that groups like AARP are trying to enable access to for U.S. Senior Citizens. The pills that Ms. Bergeron purchased had traces of toxic minerals including arsenic, lead and even uranium (yes, uranium). Pharma Marketletter is reporting that the pills were believed to be counterfeits of Pfizer’s Xanax and sanofi-aventis’ Ambien.
It is only a matter of time before senior citizens in the U.S., even AARP members, start dying because of counterfeit medications sold by Internet pharmacies.
Ironically, I received an e-mail last Thursday in response to my previous posting which claimed that I wildly overstate the risk of importation and Canadian Internet pharmacies. The individual claimed in their note, “No single person has ever died from buying drugs from Canada. This is just a scare tactic from those drug companies.” Well dear reader, Marcia Bergeron would disagree with you.